[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.

Neil Brown neil_1_brown at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 15:38:31 CEST 2001

--- Travis Casey <efindel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> shren wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 May 2001 SavantKnowsAll at cs.com wrote:

>>> The most important reason to /not/ have permadeath is because
>>> nobody plays to lose, and nobody is going to pay to play a game
>>> where they can permanently lose an investment.  Yes, persistant
>>> characters are an investment - of your time, and money.

>> I play a game where I can permanently lose my character.  Try not
>> to speak in such broad generalizations when they arn't true.

> For that matter, if no one was willing to play a game where they
> could permanently lose an investment, Las Vegas would be a ghost
> town.

I really don't think that's a fair comparison to make.  While the
time investment portions could be similar given a sufficiently
affluent and addicted gambler, the vegas situation holds the promise
of a huge monetary payoff at the end of the investment of time.
Never underistemate the psychological draw of a big cash prize to
keep people coming back, no matter how astronomical the odds against
them may be.  There's one born every minute, as they say.  For the
comparison to be fair, you'd have to have a huge cash prize for the
first player to reach level 60 or something similar.

Now a MUD with a huge cash prize and perma-death...now that would be
an interesting experiment.

-o-
Neil