[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Freeman Freeman
Mon Jun 4 08:43:47 CEST 2001

> From: msew [mailto:msew at ev1.net]

> As time becomes more and more valuable and the games become more
> realistic0 and more wide spread I wonder what kind of behavior might
> come from it?

There are things in the world that most people take to be trivial "not
worth getting upset over".

  Two guys golfing and one gets upset and punches the other in the
  nose.

Happens in Hockey ALL THE TIME and no one thinks twice about it.

This is news to the people that don't MUD: People who *do* MUD don't
consider the things that happen to them in-game to be trivial.

> IRL wars started over something occurring in VR?

I think it would be more interesting if it happened the other way
around.  Now THAT represents a compelling gameworld: When something
IRL ticks you off and you get your revenge - and are *satisfied* with
that revenge - in VR.

> When will VR and IRL blur to be one?

Since VR takes place IRL, they already have.  It's a distinction that
never existed in the first place.  So when something reminds us that
there is no such distinction then that can take us by surprise, I
suppose.

> What game mechanics might help separate out VR vs IRL?  (is this a
> good thing?)

It's a bad thing, doomed to failure, since there's not any such
distinction anyway.  :)