[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Koster Koster
Sun Jun 3 12:32:35 CEST 2001

Er, well, they lose some miniscule, tiny, statistically invisible
number of customers. That is, I am sure some people do quit over this,
but it doesn't even register on the user accounts stats. Expansions
cause rapid, large growth of the user base. Having a box out there
means new acquisitions because of increased marketing and shelf
presence ("huh, never heard of this game before..."), returning
customers ("maybe this will make the game fun for me again") and
increased retention ("now I've got a reason to stay...").  And thus
far, the expansions have never been required, so there's no loss over
people who choose not to upgrade. They've also always been cheap to
existing users--much less thsan $40.

-Raph