[MUD-Dev] [News] NCSoft + Richard Garriott

Frank Alexander gfalexander at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 09:39:51 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
>>> On 29 May 2001 07:21, Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> I think that's a pretty sweeping generalisation too. Heck, look at
>> this quote from Jake Song that I just grabbed from
>> www.lumthemad.net. It contradicts the assertion completely.

>>   'Korean-made MMOGs are more goal-oriented in play style and more
>>   PvP-oriented than US games. I think it's due to the fact that the
>>   mood of society itself is toward high competition because the
>>   country is still under development compared to western worlds,
>>   which are more stable. I think a MUD style game is a mirror of
>>   the society on which it is based.'

> That's an opinion, not a fact. And frankly, I don't see how a game
> could be more goal-oriented than, say, Everquest. (Ie your goal is
> to get the highest level and the best equipment. Nothing vague about
> that at all.)

Hmm, what I took from Jake Song's quote was "Koreans don't really like
to roleplay the way some US players do."

I play an MMOG with a lot of Korean players (I play "Dark Ages", Dave
Kennerly's old game), and I usually find them to be very
goal-oriented, polite, and organized players; but that is the players,
not the Korean MMOG's.

-- Frank Alexander