[MUD-Dev] DNA Game Patent [was Randy's Resume]

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Tue Jul 31 01:26:22 CEST 2001

> From: Chris Gray
>> From: "Hulbert, Leland" <LHulbert at czn.com>
>> Christopher Allen wrote:

>> OK, I'm not sure that it counts, but I beleive Bard's Tale (or
>> maybe BT 2) had the ability to import characters that had been
>> originally played in Wizardry.  OK, I may be dating myself, but
>> the idea was amazing to me at the time.  Greatly enhanced my
>> enjoyment of the game(particularly since I had a character editor
>> for Wizardry, but no for Bard's Tale, but I won't go in to that.)

> I went looking for my copy of Bard's Tale. (All my old Amiga stuff
> is still on a bookshelf in my dining room!) It doesn't mention
> anything about Wizardry characters (but then, Wizardry was never
> ported to the Amiga). However, while looking, I came across
> "Dragon Wars" from Interplay. The box (copyright 1989) mentions:
> "Supports characters from Bard's Tale I, II & III."

There was another game on the Amiga that allowed characters to be
maintained throughout a series of games... The name of the company
was Omnitrend and I believe Peter Molyneux was the designer and his
brother the programmer (pre Bullfrog days), IIRC, the name of the
game was Breach 2 and it imported "marines" from Breach.

The intro graphics displayed a few jigsaw puzzle pieces and the
caption read, "An interlocking puzzle game" or something to that
nature. I really thought that was extremely cool - way back when.

David "Dak Lozar" Loeser