[MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: Re: a few mud server design questions (long)

SeronisROTv3 at aol.com SeronisROTv3 at aol.com
Fri Jul 27 20:24:23 CEST 2001

In a message dated 7/27/01 2:21:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sean at hoth.ffwd.cx writes:

> Here's are 2 simple examples.  Say the calendar size in both is
> 100 ticks and in each case I want to schedule 4 events 250, 300,
> 150, and 10 ticks in the future, respectively:

>   (a) non-randomizing example
>   (b) randomizing example

I had totally misunderstood what you meant by a tick calendar..  I
had assumed you meant something like a linked list of tick objects..
each tick object would have a time stamp of when to go off and a
pointer to which item needs the tick..  at each game loop (( or
however often you wished )) you could just cycle through the tick
list and any with a time stamp equal to or older than 'now' would
get processed and the object would the reschedule its next tick.

Ok seems like a lot of assumptions but my mind wanders a bit when in
lack of explicit details =-)

Any opinions on how well this idea would work ?

Seronis  aka
Mike Estepp
ICQ 43442042