[MUD-Dev] Something in the water

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Jul 27 04:51:29 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 08:51:05 -0500, "Hulbert, Leland" <LHulbert at czn.com>
wrote:

> My idea goes like this.  Make a list of difinite OOC activities.
> The simplest example being a list of words that are considered
> inappropriate to the setting.  In a fantasy setting, "Celtics"
> might make it, but "49ers" might not.

Is "who's online" inappropriate?

> "Computer", "Internet" and "IM" are strictly out.

Im not so sure that last one's a good idea. ;)

> This has the strength of rewarding the introvert, as long as
> he/she isn't talking to himself OOC.  It appears to be a reward
> system, so it will engender less complaints.  It also allows for
> some other penalties to be included.

I *do* like it. It's a neat outside the box idea. Unfortunately, it
predicates on the assumption that you can define RP by defining what
is NOT RP, which is obviously a much larger volume of data. It also
rewards non-RPers for RP simply because they aren't social. There
are a whole slew of flaws in this, I think.