[MUD-Dev] Gearing up against GEAR

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Thu Jul 26 11:01:25 CEST 2001

According to J C Lawrence:

> Posit a Windows box running an NTP daemon that also has a
> significantly wrong system clock.  The relative clock drift
> between your server and the client will change steadily and fairly
> consistently as the NTP daemon slowly adjusts the system clock
> toward reality.

Yes, but by which amount? I don't know about windows NTP daemons,
but the standard xntpd speeds up/slows down the clock by a fraction
of percent only, to avoid timer problems.

The drift measured is part of the consistency check. If you allow
for a 3% tolerance, you cover all normal cases. If your clock drifts
more than that, you have a problem. GEAR or something else.

If NTP on windows is allowed to speed up your clock by a factor of
2, it would be better to just jump the clock to the correct time,
and to hell with skewing the clock :)

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)