[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Wed Jul 25 22:08:13 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <luke at rocketship.com>
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
> "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com> wrote:

>> Have to throw in the compulsory "hear, hear" here.  All games
>> involve real-world skills.  Period.

> That is a very good point. Sort of makes me wonder though, why
> aren't MUDs used more for educational purposes? Instead of
> requiring the skills of patience, aliasing, and killing, why not
> require/teach important things like economics, engineering, and
> science? Just make some quests with the appropriate problems.
> Seems like most "educational" MUDs I've visited are MUSHes and
> MOOs that try to make a virtual clone of their university or
> something. Has anybody made a MUD with an actual tutorial for a
> real-world peacetime problem, where the characters could get real
> points for solving it? Could such a MUD even be fun?

In the Tech & Management field, there are numbers of 'simulations'
where multiple groups interact in the same networked world/database,
such that the actions of one group affect the actions of
others. Other than the interface difference [you're not an avatar in
a room], it sounds like a mud. An internal world with rules that is
affected by multiple people using it, to teach them various
techniques, laws in action, etc.