[MUD-Dev] Something in the water

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Tue Jul 24 20:35:49 CEST 2001

From: "J C Lawrence" <claw at 2wire.com>
> Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:59:44 -0400, John Hopson
>> <jhopson at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> The problem is that implementation is an automatic, or at least
> computable system requires that the item be subject to
> determinable metrics (ie it has to be able to be measured), and
> there lieth the rub.

>   How can you mechanically determine when RP is occuring?

Parse what the player is saying, and if it includes "prithee",
"thine", "forsooth", or "liege" then they're roleplaying ;o)

> Or, if the problem is not subject to mechanical determination:

>   What social systems can you implement which are variously
>   resistant to gaming/overt_manipulation to measure RP?

> Historically various things have been tried ranging from counting
> the number and rate of poses and emotes, to having players award
> each RP points.  The grinding point is that all such systems only
> work reliably when the player base explicitly colludes with the
> system

I can't concieve of a system implementable today that wouldn't.
What constitutes roleplaying depends not only on what you are doing,
but the context you're doing it in.  I can't imagine trying to code
AI to "detect roleplaying."  Also, there is no universal defintion
for "roleplaying."  Even among self-avowed hardcore roleplayers
there is disagreement on what constututes roleplaying.  If policing
by real people doesn't work, I can't imagine trying to do it in
code.

Sean