[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Tue Jul 24 13:24:37 CEST 2001

[Dave G]

> The biggest problem to all of this is localisation - runing on
> internal networks would be okay, but running it on an open network
> like the Internet would be a big time problem maker.

I'm semi-prepared for that eventuality since the .NET Frameworks
easily localizes down to as many possible languages as you can make
the resources for.  And programming using resources is just as easy
as putting the static string in, sometimes even easier.

Its not that localization is a problem, its that most languages or
frameworks don't provide an easy mechanism to use and swap out
resources based on locale.  And I don't know of any that will allow
you to change the resources while the program is running, (except
for .NET of course).

Now .NET isn't an end-all solution obviously.  It's fairly slow
compared to equivalent C/C++ code, and only runs on Win machines.
But it does offer great possibilities with this single case in mind.