[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

Luke Parrish luke at rocketship.com
Tue Jul 24 12:34:17 CEST 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
"Justin Rogers" <justin at mlstoday.com> wrote:

> Okay, that's enough of a brain dump.  Its definitely intriguing,
> and I have a 2D DirectDraw client written in C# using .NET Beta 2
> bits that would work very well if I defined a protocol for
> transferring graphics information down from the server to the
> client.  Maybe we can mock up some prototypes.

Yes, that is the general idea I had, to keep the puzzles randomized.
For 2D representations, there is ascii art I suppose. But that's not
always a good enough option for some things, like graphing. I intend
to have book-objects easily available for the characters in the MUD
to learn from. In addition to math and logic puzzles, another thing
that might go well is language assignments. Quests made in other
languages would be interesting, though cheaters might put up web
pages with walkthroughs of the quests. Randomized elements would be
a good idea.

Another option is points for human-graded essays, stories, code, and
instructional literature. Perhaps a karma system like Slashdot uses
would work for that sort of thing, so that the admins wouldn't be
swamped by all the work involved in moderating.

I'm working on the beginnings of a MUD of my own. It's originally
themed and will hopefully turn out to be educational. I've been
messing with GIME/Pike for a while, hoping to create a decent server
out of it, but GIME (http://www.gime.org/) is still rather
primitive, and I may have to go with something less
freely-licensed. (If any LPC hacks out there want to try and help
the GIME team, or write a decent codebase for Pike, I'd appreciate
it.) The theme and some details for CandleMUD are at
http://candlemud.hn.org/theme.html

Luke
http://www.topica.com/lists/ce-mud/