[MUD-Dev] Gearing up against GEAR

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Tue Jul 24 10:12:16 CEST 2001

--On Sunday, July 22, 2001 11:15 PM -0400 Derek Licciardi
<kressilac at home.com> wrote:

> This makes me wonder if future versions of Windows will have ways
> to determine if some other program is messing with the clock.
> Sounds like the job for an OS process or something that might be
> detrimental to the health of the OS if mucked with might be in
> order.  Other than an OS level patch, I can't really see how it
> could be defeated at the API layer.  It would be akin to messing
> with the HAL layer of Win2K or the other Windows OSes in which
> case Micorsoft programming preaches that the user need not worry
> about such things.

I'm a little surprised that this works on NT-based systems (4, 2000,
and XP) since nothing and nobody is supposed to have a direct route
to the hardware layer.

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333