[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 09:14:30 CEST 2001

From: <lhulbert at hotmail.com>

>> Am I the only one who finds the inability to identify speakers
>> annoying? :) And how do you overcome it?!

> The way nature does, of course.  Have the character's mouth move
> in concert with the voice :P.

> While that may sound flippant, it is the eventual result.  Any
> other solution will just be a stand-in until we get the processing
> power and bandwith to allow us full virtual representations.

Matrox just sent me a newsflash promoting the G550 and its
"HeadCaster" technology - this is supposed to serve just such a
purpose - the main thrust of their marketing seems to be "makes
videoconferences and online chat work in 3D".

  "unique HeadCasting Engine accelerating 3D online communication"

  http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_g550/headcasting.cfm

  "The unique Matrox HeadCasting Engine is designed specifically to
  accelerate the animation of a high-definition(1), photo-realistic
  3D version of your head in real time, while offloading your
  CPU. In conjunction with the bundled suite of HeadCasting
  applications, the Millennium G550 introduces never before seen
  application areas for 3D in business and recreational online
  communication."

Adam M