[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Jeremy Noetzelman jjn at kriln.com
Thu Jul 12 16:50:01 CEST 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Luke Carruthers wrote:

> I'm curious as to why no-one has mentioned the V12 engine from
> Garage Games (www.garagegames.com) in this thread yet. On the
> surface at least, it seems to fit most of the criteria -
> "commercial" quality (was the basis for Tribes 2), cheaply
> available (US$100), relatively unrestrictive license that allows
> commercial efforts, and highly customisable via available tools
> let alone the fact that you have the source code (it would seem,
> anyway - RPG's (www.planettribes.com/rpg) have been built on the
> Tribes 1 version of the engine just using the available tools). It
> may be missing many of the elements such as database access
> required to implement (larger scale) persistent worlds, but it
> would seem to be possible to produce a set of add-ons covering
> these things if they are too difficult for a sizable enough
> segment of the market. There are of course still things like art
> and (god forbid) gameplay design to do, but even so it seems to
> fit the requirements for a commercial platform. Am I missing
> something?

As a V12 Beta tester, I can assure you the engine itself is quite
nice.  Unfortunately, GarageGames isn't prepared for any sort of
usage based commercial effort (monthly fees, ongoing contributions,
etc) and don't have a license for that application.

It could certainly be used for non commercial games, but it's not
the best application for commercial MUDs.  That's even ignoring the
fact that they retain all rights to your IP, which is not a good
thing for a MUD.

Jeremy