[MUD-Dev] Toward a Craftier Dragon

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Thu Jul 12 08:30:04 CEST 2001

rayzam posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 11:07 PM

> There's a whole other level to it.

>    2) Dragons cooperating with each other. Players having to band
>    together to survive.

Did we mention we have dragons as a race on RetroMUD?

  http://207.170.15.220:3003/cgi/race?=race:dragon

It's not quite the same concept, but there are similar ideas.
Dragons go through a sleeping process which requires a certain
amount of gold -- upon their first sleep, their breath weapon is
selected based on their alignment (this also gives them a color).
They can sleep ten times throughout their life cycle, which is based
on their level and costs more gold as they grow.  They also increase
in size (to titan sized at maximum).  However, their experience
point rate goes down for the tradeoff in power.

This tends to make dragons a very appealing race for newbies, but an
unpopular one with highbies.

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://www.retromud.org