[MUD-Dev] strong encryption for authentication

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Wed Jul 11 20:09:38 CEST 2001

From: "Tamzen Cannoy" <tamzen at worldbenders.com>

> We ran this in the building with some of the central networking
> development groups and there were network sniffers all over the
> place. Since we had a hand written client built to run on DECNet
> we encrypted it so that packets containing online sexual
> encounters and such were protected from the sniffers. A very real
> need for encryption.

Nothing like seeing how far geeks will go in the interest of goofing
off :) But this is a very valid point.  It might do to provide
players a means to sidestep intrusive environments while they're
playing.  I usually bounce my sessions off a ssh connection to a
remote shell account, but it would be nice to be able to avoid this
step and still feel that what I'm doing is sniff-proof.

Sean