[MUD-Dev] strong encryption for authentication

Bruce Mitchener bruce at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 11 00:07:26 CEST 2001

Fred Clift wrote:

> The main problem I see is that people use mud clients that would
> need to be enhanced.  I can tunnel tinyfugue (long live
> tinyfugue!) through ssh just fine, which would give me personally
> secure access to my mud, but most people dont have the technical
> knowlege to probably set this up.  Are there clients out there
> that support more secure protocols?  Perhaps I should provide
> ssh-ized patches for all the free clients I can get my hands on,
> and sweet-talk the 'for sale' client makers to include code....

I'm lazy.  Why not just provide tunnelling software?  SecureCRT on
Windows can provide tunnelling.  PuTTY has source available but
doesn't tunnel (yet?).  Mac OS X 10.0.1 or later ships with OpenSSH
installed.

It should be relatively straight forward to make this easier on the
end user, with a simple application, script, or whatever.  Or even
just forking some source code off and writing a small easy to
install and configure application from it.

Modifying each and every client is too much work. :)

  - Bruce