[MUD-Dev] Server hosting

Madman Across the Water burra at alum.rpi.edu
Tue Jul 10 19:21:45 CEST 2001

Valerio Santinelli wrote:

> Being one of the developers behind UOX3 way back in 1998 when it
> was something new, I know that this UO emulator is pretty high in
> requirements.  Handling more than a hundred players means having a
> PC with lots of RAM and at least a PIII-800MHz. Of course you can
> run it on a lower macine, but it's going to starve as soon as
> you've got some players online and a big worldfile.

POL shards can survive on less cycles, but you are definately right
about needing lots of memory. A fairly large POL shard eats around
800M RAM, but can probably run on a PIII-500 or so. It spikes pretty
well during worldsave.

> Most of the big shards you see around are on dedicated machines,
> or at least they're sharing their CPU power with other servers
> completely different, like Rogue Spear or Quake 3.  Just my 0.02$

Most of the big servers I know of are on machines that are dedicated
to the server (and maybe a few other minor things- mine serves mp3s
for my house as well) but are on DSL lines to the house, or a
similar setup.  I'm not sure what is standard in other parts of the
world, to be honest- I should ask.

But yeah, the DSL/cable line to the corner of the bedroom seems to
be fairly common for UO servers. Fortunately, my DSL allows servers
and gives me a static IP.

Adam B
burra at alum.rpi.edu
Madman Across the Water - POL dev