[MUD-Dev] [TECH] String Classes, Memory Management, and Fragmentation

Chris Dern cdern at home.com
Tue Jul 10 15:44:03 CEST 2001

[Justin Rogers]:
> [Derek]:

>> Been pondering multiple ways to solve the issue of Heap
>> management and the string issue is a thorn in my side.

> If you'd like more information on how we actually declare the
> string space and grow and shrink it as strings are added let me
> know and I can probably get the information.

I actually would be interesting in knowing more about your
implementation and the impetus behind your design choices. What
guaranties does the CLR make for construction time on a string? I'm
guessing a long running service with a collection of strings, could
slowly impact the time to find a string.  I'm guessing you implement
some sort of hash table of pointers into the linear memory area. Can
you provide what (i'm guessing there are lots of them)
implementation optimizations you do/can make given an immutable
string?

-Chris