[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 10 11:09:01 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Nixon" <tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

> Of course, maybe everything would have went pretty much the way it
> did, simply because of the hardware requirements for a world
> capable of handling more than a few score people at the same time.

Does anyone have approximate figures on what the hardware
requirements are like, server-side? Turbine was alleged to be able
to handle 3000 people/server (only I never quite found out what the
servers were running! I guess p3-750's or similar given the timing
of the article that made the claim).

I know that a friend runs a graphical MUD off 500Mhz intel machines,
and handles about 1,000 per server without any problems, but each
server is standalone, and the only talking they do is shared access
to a character-file database.

Adam M