[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Tue Jul 10 09:46:22 CEST 2001

> From: Derek Licciardi [mailto:kressilac at home.com]

> As for which is better, I guess it is a matter of preference.
> Wouldn't it be nice if you could have it either way and set it as
> an option while in game?

Yeah, valid comments. One thing though (that perhaps I didn't cover
to well in my 9am haze) is that the exactness of the interface is
less of a concern for me, rather how in game speech is tied to an
ingame character. Having live voice would make things even more
confusing (at least for me) as I wouldn't get to see the persons
name OR be able to link that name to someone I can see on the
screen. End result would be almost a double blind for me as firstly
I'd have to recognize the voice, secondly, tie it to a character
name and thirdly tie it with someone on screen. Voice over IP stuff
I've heard so far is indistinct.. and you Americans all sound the
same anyway ;)

Am I the only one who finds the inability to identify speakers
annoying? :) And how do you overcome it?!

Peter Tyson