[MUD-Dev] Player characters as a prey species

Dan Shiovitz dans at drizzle.com
Mon Jul 9 21:28:00 CEST 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

>   The game always has the bigger hammer.  As such you are never
>   top dog over the world, instead the better player is variously
>   the bigger/juicier ant in the ant eater's cage.

> The basic problem with these assumptions is that from a player
> perspective they translate to:

>   They don't want me playing the game and will keep making it
>   harder and harder to play until I stop.

> The challenge is then to present it as a "How far can you get?"
> game?

>   It is implicit that you are going to eventually loose/die in an
>   arcade game.  The question is how long that will take and what
>   you can/will do ITMT.

> This would seem to be the primary problem with the prime-predator
> model as a game fundament.  Players like winning.  Setting them up
> to always lose is rarely popular. (Note: This is partly cultural,
> especially WRT north americans).

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here before, but it's
probably worth checking out TechnoSphere

  http://www.technosphere.org.uk/

This is a virtual world where you create critters that run around,
killing each other and/or mating and/or grazing until they
die. Everybody dies -- if you're lucky it's from old age, if you're
not, it's from getting et or starving to death or something. There
is a high score list, with various categories (biggest creature,
most children, etc). People like it.

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs at cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and