[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Mon Jul 9 10:46:49 CEST 2001

Hey all.

Since AO's release I've been thinking a lot about how people chat in
a graphical mud. On the one hand you have the Ultima Online version
where all the text pops above the players head. On the other you
have the EQ model where text is solely placed in the chat window.

Somewhere in between you have games which have a speech bubble over
someone's head as they talk or AOs 'glowing head' when you send a
message/chat.

Now, which do you lot like and why?

To be honest, I prefer some kind of chat interaction which is more
directly tied to the person. In UO if you were in a busy area it
looked and 'sounded' busy. There was chat all over the place and it
was at times confusing. But it was also easy to find the smithy or
the person selling the horses.

In EQ and AO when you are in an area full of local chat you would
hardly think it to look at the screen. The gameworld view shows
'silence'. This to me is perhaps why folks don't often seem to talk
locally in AO while they always do in UO. Being unable to identify
who it is among a group that is talking to you is a little annoying
and frustrating.

I think identifying the speak is key. While you may see their name
you often don't see their name on screen. EQ has names over heads so
it's a little easier, AO doesn't. While this results in a tidier
looking game (IMHO) interaction is difficult. I seldom chat locally
preferring to be on a channel or chatting to distant friends.

To me the lack of identification is frustrating and
counter-impressive I guess. So what are some options?

I think it would be good to have some more indications of who is
talking.  Perhaps some arm waving when folks talk. Then you could
look around and see who probably said the last thing. Another option
might be names appearing over a speakers head. Although that might
be a bit annoying.

Anyone else have any thoughts on in game talk?

Peter Tyson