[MUD-Dev] Re: Request to mailing list MUD-Dev rejected

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jul 8 22:58:54 CEST 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:19:50 EDT
SeronisROTv3  <SeronisROTv3 at aol.com> wrote:

>> "Run the preprocessor over your source and examine the results.
>> You'll see exactly what is happening and why -- claw"

> NOTE.  Claw i have found no errors in the files and still dont
> understand the problem.

Which is why I gave the above advice.  Preprocess your source and
see exactly what the compiler is seeing.  At that point the error
should be obvious.

> That is why i want to post.

MUD-Dev is not a teach-me-programming forum.

> C:\Windows\Desktop\Shadows Destiny\src\c_myRace.cpp(21) : fatal
> error C1019: unexpected #else

Translation: The preprocessor is getting an #else outside of an #if
context.  Given 3 minutes spent with the preprocessor this should be
easy to find.

> i am making an editor for another game i have.  And i dont want to
> have two copies of the same files so i have the same file included
> in both and i want the editor to use a diff standard header.  But
> its telling me im not allowed to do this.

No, it is telling you that you have a simple preprocessor error.
Its up to you to find the cause of that.

> Is this a bug in MSDEV...

Unlikely.  MS dev tools are generally poor in regards to standards
compliance, but are not quite that bad.

> ... or just some bizarre limitation on C++ in general ?

Mope.

You have a preprocessor error.  So use the preprocessor to find and
fix it.

J C Lawrence                                             claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/
I never claimed to be human.