[MUD-Dev] Chatbot

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at worldbenders.com
Fri Jul 6 20:07:00 CEST 2001

At 6:07 PM -0700 7/5/01, F. Randall Farmer wrote:
> Mike "Talien" Tresca wrote:

>>  Anyway, the [A.I. Movie Site] Chatbot is sufficiently advanced
>>  that several people on the discussion boards thought they were
>>  talking to a real person, or that "a real person was answering
>>  for the 'bot some of the time."

> I played with it for the first time earlier this week.

> I was totally unimpressed.

My husband, Jon Callas, did a bot for a TinyMuck in 1990 that was
realistic enough to fool a lot of savvy computer people into
thinking a real person played her, at least for a while. I'll have
to ask him the details, but I'm not home now. I have a vague memory
it used Markov Chains but maybe that was the password he wrote at
the same time. It did do a lot of pattern matching and saving of
data.

Essentially this was a rude French waitress who knew how well or
poorly how you treated her. If you said please and thank you, she
was sweetness and light. If you were rude, you would end up with
espresso spilled in your lap. Jon (being the wiz) even had the
system change the person's desc and add the spilled coffee. It was a
very popular game to try to set her off after people discovered she
was a bot.

Margot had a lot of responses so she didn't feel like a canned
bot. I'll find out more info if I can.

--

Tamzen