[MUD-Dev] Chatbot

Robert Zubek rob at cs.northwestern.edu
Fri Jul 6 10:30:12 CEST 2001

Michael Tresca writes:

> On the A.I. web site, Chatbot (ALICE, click Enter to see it) gives
> clues about the movie.  I think.  Anyway, the Chatbot is
> sufficiently advanced that several people on the discussion boards
> thought they were talking to a real person, or that "a real person
> was answering for the 'bot some of the time."

i'm not sure whether that was a case of the bot passing the turing
test, or the human failing it. :)

alas, alice is essentially the same mechanism as eliza - a pattern
matcher with canned response strings, although it can hold on to a
bit more context than eliza or colby's parry (the paranoid
schizophrenic bot). there's good information at

  http://www.alicebot.org

rob

--
Robert Zubek