[MUD-Dev] Chatbot

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jul 6 07:53:00 CEST 2001

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Michael Tresca wrote:

> Thought you might find this interesting:

>   http://aimovie.warnerbros.com/

> On the A.I. web site, Chatbot (ALICE, click Enter to see it) gives
> clues about the movie.  I think.  Anyway, the Chatbot is
> sufficiently advanced that several people on the discussion boards
> thought they were talking to a real person, or that "a real person
> was answering for the 'bot some of the time."

Just got back from seeing A.I. Sentimental dreck.

> I'd love to make our NPCs that believable.  I suspect the audience
> has something to do with it (e.g., mundanes not used to chatting
> to programs).

Yeah, that's probably true. Remember too that the chatbot operates
in a very limited context, whereas NPCs in the typical MUD operate
in an extremely broad context.

You know what's fun? Playing an NPC but convincing newbies that it's
just really really good AI. I sometimes have hours of fun possessing
NPCs and talking to young players as if I were a well-done (for
current technology) AI. Throw in a few references that make no sense
contextually, and repeat yourself exactly a few times. Much fun.

--matt