[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Matt Owen MOwen at Channel4.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 10:54:58 CEST 2001

Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Aside from insult to personal preference and annoyance at the
>> general lack of demonstrated creativity in stock MUDs, is there
>> really a harm done by them?

> I, personally, blame stock MUDs for causing the horrendous
> group-think that exists among most MUD designers. I realize that
> the stock MUDs were inspired by monster-bashing games like D&D,
> but they have just reinforced that. When you as a newbie
> administrator download your MUD-in-a-box and it's all about
> monster-bashing, and when 95% of the other MUDs you see are also
> about monster-bashing, then many people are going to get locked
> into that mental box, both designer and player.

The way around that is for more newbie MUD Admins to have a bash a
writing their own MUD from scratch. Doing so makes you more likely
to implement your own ideas than adopt the 'monster-bashing'
schema. I myself have done this, using the mantra 'to understand a
MUD one needs to WRITE a MUD', what I ended up with was a world that
was more socially orientated than I first intended, more Quests than
I envisioned, and hardly a monster/NPC in sight.  Overall the end
result was a very unique miniMUD that I was quite happy with and the
players also enjoyed hanging around in. (I did intend to release the
'core' code but feared that it wasn't upto the same standard of the
'real' stock MUDs out there, so I didn't)

Jaruzel.