[MUD-Dev] Value in the Economy of the MOG

Federico Di Gregorio fog at mixadlive.com
Tue Jul 3 23:23:38 CEST 2001

On 03 Jul 2001 14:15:08 -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:

> One of my early attempts, and one I still like, was to make the
> world explicitly zero-sum.  For everything created there was an
> equal quantity of <whatever> destroyed (this was actually the
> minor case), or of <negative-whatever> created (the base and most
> common model).  As such at any instant the sum of the world was
> always zero.  The job of the players within that space was to
> exert will (the only unbalanced non-zero-sum item) to force the
> separation of null space into opposing value pairs which they then
> worked to maintain as separate (should they meet they'd mutually
> annihilate) and then exploit the PE thus raised.

> In the end this was all based on an underlieing particle economy
> (+ve and -ve mana, +ve and -ve energy, +ve and -ve life, etc as a
> particulate system with explicit non-newtonian particle mechanics)
> upon which all world interactions and events were based.  The mana
> particle case was where I spent most of my time (and thus CPU)
> attempting to get sporadic riverine flows of mana across the
> landscape between +ve/-ve mana producers (I wanted mildly diffuse
> high velocity "bundles" of mana hurtling about the landscape on
> minorly predictable paths and timing).

that seems a great idea to me. it is different from what i was talkin
about, you have to base the whole world on it, the whole story. but
sounds great? any code, documents, or just a little more explanations?

--
Federico Di Gregorio
MIXAD LIVE Chief of Research & Technology              fog at mixadlive.com
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
  99.99999999999999999999% still isn't 100% but sometimes suffice. -- Me