[MUD-Dev] Player run reputation system

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Tue Jul 3 13:22:49 CEST 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 18:40:19 -0400
Phillip Lenhardt <philen at monkey.org> wrote:

> Also, there is at least one free (as in beer) implementation, see

>   http://www.openldap.org

While solid/stable, OpenLDAP that I've played with it has some
fairly chunky performance problems when the DB gets large and when
using OpenLDAP's own backing store.  I've not tried it against an
external backing store such as an SQL DB (that wasn't a possibility
for that project for various reasons).

>>> I'm not experienced with LDAP too, so I cannot say much. This
>>> issue needs to be looked into deeper, but maybe it could be a
>>> good choice if it really does what it's supposed to do :)

>> Well it's used by a number of really large organizations for
>> things like : HR records, phone databases, account/pwd tracking,
>> etc.  In theory it should be a workable solution, but I really
>> haven't had time to look at it in detail.

LDAP over TLS (think SSL) is a fairly common method of distributing
user meta information these days, and seems (limited visibility) to
be rapidly displacing YP/NIS/NIS+.  I've been seeing things like
mailing lists whose membership lists are built dynamically out of
LDAP queries, IRC/ICQ-like systems using LDAP-based acounts, LDAP
based vcard analogues etc.

> Personally, I don't see how ldap would help a mud much.

On a small scale, yup, not much.  Once you get into multiple
distributed servers, and particularly into multiple distributed
shards using LDAP as a centralised distribution model for player
accounts and other meta information seems attractive.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows