[MUD-Dev] List rituals

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Tue Jul 3 12:54:37 CEST 2001

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 10:16:36 -0700
Caliban Tiresias Darklock <caliban at darklock.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2001 22:41:32 -0700, J C Lawrence <claw at 2wire.com>
> wrote:
>> Were you on the CC: list?  I thought you came in a little later.

> I was here back in the invite-only days, too.

The other MUD-Dev tradition: "I remember when..."  Shortly followed
by attempted one-upmanship with, "Well I was here in the posting
authority days!", "Oh yeah, I was here in the invitation days!", "So
nyahh, I was on Wout's list at bug.de!", "That's nothing, I was here
in the CC: list days," and so forth back into the very early days on
CiX (of which I am the only survivor) and possibly the discussions
at Pip Caudrey's place in the days before MirrorWorld (we have a few
old IOWA people here, but none I think from that group).

Age: mostly it makes you feel old.

> I remember being a complete asshole over MUD/MUSH
> distinctions. Hopefully most other people have forgotten that. Oh,
> damn, I just reminded them.

Aye, IIRC correctly, you along with the threads that followed
GodLike (mostly the latter) were responsible for the bit on the list
page about the definition, capitalisation and spelling of "MUD"
being expressly off-topic.

<<At the time I had serious cognitive problems grokking that people
were argueing in earnest over whether it was, "MUD", or "mud", let
alone the "MU*" variations>>

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows