In-game email (was Re: [MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jul 2 14:41:10 CEST 2001

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 16:27:00 -0700, Gavin Doughtie <gavin at well.com>
wrote:

> Possibly, as a user option, you can set up an email forwarding
> address for your characters/accounts in a given MUD. That way
> you're only paying for outbound bandwidth, and that's going to be
> nicely throttled since there won't be great big nasty UIs for
> threading and forwarding etc. In other words, when I do "/email
> DethMaster Please send me the address for the website with those
> cookie recipies, thx." Then the mud server (as a batch or very low
> priority task) looks up "DethMaster", finds that it's
> "kewld00d at hotmail.com", sends him my little email with
> 'mycharacter at in_game_email.mymud.com' as the return address. When
> he replies the process is repeated in the other direction. The
> users get the benefit they want (non-sync communications), and the
> mud server gives up minimal storage and bandwidth in exchange.

Hmmmm.

-----
  > WHO
  Bob
  Joe
  Dave
  Chuck
  > QUIT

  BCC: Bob at in_game_email.mymud.com, Joe at in_game_email.mymud.com,
  Dave at in_game_email.mymud.com, Chuck at in_game_email.mymud.com
  Subject: FREE VIRGIN BUSINESS TEEN CASH VIDEO WITH YOUR PC!!!!!!!
-----

Okay, that's bad. ;)

Potential solution, use "noreplies" as the From: address and simply
stick the name of the character and the MUD on the first line. So
DethMaster gets:

  In-game message, BubbaMUD 1.0 server.domain.com:1638

  From: mycharacter
  To: DethMaster

  Blah blah blah blah blah.

If DethMaster sends back an autoreply or something, the server
throws it out. He has to log onto the game and send the message. The
server can handle SMTP errors, so when the message isn't delivered
because of a network error you can still be informed.