[MUD-Dev] Re: [pol-core-test] Re: New file uploaded to pol-core-test (OT)

Jeff Freeman skeptack at antisocial.com
Wed Jan 31 12:40:54 CET 2001

This was posted to pol-core-test (POL is a UO emulator).  My questions are
below.

At 03:26 PM 1/31/01 -0200, HellRaider wrote:
>> I also don't believe the numbers posted below [now they are above
>> -Jeff]. 1400 for beta?  Hard to believe...

>>Oroborous (www.geocities.com/darkageuo) wrote:
> Brazil has a great amount of FreeShard players, probably 20x bigger
> than the number of OSI players. OSI doesn't support UO here, it
> isn't even sold here, and we have to pay 60 US$ to have an original
> version of it. Although 90% of all brazilian players have warez/iso
> versions of it hehe. Our ping on north american shards average
> 450ms, so most people will just play on local, FreeShards. This
> great amount of players encourages local companies to sponsor people
> developing new Shards.

Well, I don't buy the "20x bigger than the number of OSI players" but
maybe he meant 20x the number of people playing "free shards" in
Brazil, versus the number playing in the US.

Anyway, my question is, what's the matter with Brazil?  They have
squirrely copyright laws or is it just a matter of there not being
enough players there to justify launching a Brazilian shard?

1,400 people signing up for the beta test on one of an apparently huge
number of shards seems pretty significant.

--
  http://home.swbell.net/skeptack/