front end clients.....was Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Tue Jan 30 10:40:51 CET 2001

Willowreed at aol.com wrote:

> is that along the lines of Pueblo?  does anyone remember another
> software called "alphaworlds" or something like that?

Pueblo is a client that allows you to have HTML and Pueblo-enhanced
HTML, and VRML 1.0 if your mud supports it.

AlphaWorld, or at least the one that I am familiar with, was the first
major (1990s) virtual world client/server.  The service was free and I
believe that they had over 100,000 users before the company went out
of business.

The "text-to-whatever" works fine to a point.  However, there are some
basic things that a mud protocol should support such as X, Y
coordinates or X,Y, Z.  You can look at http://www.worldforge.org for
an example of what I am talking about.  Once your mud has a
well-defined protocol then people can write a half-dozen clients (if
they want) around it.

> is there a list of front end clients ?

Yes, its easy to find a list of clients. But except for HTML, there is
no agreed-on mud protocol that can handle text, audio, 2D/3D.  Even
tkMOO has its own protocol.

frank