[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

Peter Yu roger_callisto at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 29 16:37:12 CET 2001

>"rayzam" <rayzam at home.com> wrote:

> Out of curiosity or ignorance: does it truly, in a legal sense
> violate intellectual property rights? would that stand up in a
> court?  Or are those auction sites trying to avoid a mess?

Depends on the EULA (End-User License Agreement), I guess.  (Standard
"I am not a lawyer" disclaimer.)

I have heard of one instance (One of the AD&D-based games, though I
can't recall which one) where the company states that the characters,
customizations, in-game character history, etc. are considered to be
the property of the game company, and that the players' monthly fees
are for the access to said character.

Said game company was also rumored to have used the EULA to great
effect, adding various player characters as NPCs in the single-player
versions of their game.  If EverQuest, etc. has a similar EULA, then
they could be within their rights to sue...