[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Jan 29 09:36:02 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: rayzam <rayzam at home.com>

Not that clear.  That any intellectual property rights associated with
the items or characters are vested in Verant is clear, and the
transfer of accounts (and therefore the characters, that being the
only way in EQ to transfer a character) is clearly against the EULA
(which, like most, grants a non-transferable liscense, and unlike most
the company actually has some means of enforcing that).  However, I'm
not sure what legal theory can allow the transfer of in-game items for
in-game recompense (or none at all), but forbid the same transfer when
the payment comes in the form of a real-world transfer of funds.

But since the IP never leaves Verant's control (it's just data on
their servers after all, if they don't have control of it, it doesn't
exist), it's hard to see where any traditional definitions of IP
violation exist.  Maybe you could argue that characters (and their
inventories) were "derivitive works", and therefore Verant could
specify how they were handled in every particular?

Seems likely that Verant is concerned about the potential future
issues that allowing items to be traded for real cash raises (just for
example, what if they wanted to shut the game down, and were served
with an injunction to keep it up so the items didn't go *poof*?), and
has decided to wish the problem away.

--Dave Rickey