[MUD-Dev] Skill System

justice at softhome.net justice at softhome.net
Thu Jan 25 19:52:43 CET 2001

Ben Chambers writes:

> What's wrong with know it all players?  Elves normally live to be
> 600 years old, in those 600 years, it is more than likely that it
> would be possible to become a know it all, the only thing that may
> be true, however is that they aren't as proficient in certain areas
> as they could be, but not because of the fact that they didn't have
> the chance, but because they didn't do the things required to
> advance skills beyond a point.  For example having someone teach you
> the next 'level' of a skill, increasing your proficiency.

My problem with know-it-all players is that I had one once.  It was
the most boring experience I've ever had..  This was a Circle based
mud with remort (although they called it multi-classing) and I had
discovered that cleric/warrior/thief or mage gave you near infinite
power.

Now I think that a 600 year old elf might acquire alot of knowledge
ofer the years, but it's not likely he would be a master at more than
1 or 2 different areas.  He might be as good a craftsman as a 200 year
old dwarf, or perhaps a master magician, but more likely he would be
specialized with knowledge of a few similar fields, or a jack of all
trades and master of none.

> I like this idea, but their should be ways of returning it to the
> max, for instance having a really good blacksmith reforge it.

I don't see being able to make an item return to full hp as very
likely without completely remaking it.  Some of the stress points are
never fully repaired.  The idea I came up with while writing that mail
did cover this to an extend if Items are made up of smaller components
then you could simply take the damaged component out and replace it
with a new one.  Like putting a fresh blade in the sword.

> Overall good ideas, would you mind if I added them to my own
> project, which already is using similar systems, just not as well
> thought out in some cases...

Sure you can use these ideas, part of the reason I posted them was to
help other people cure problems with their systems as have any
problems with mine get pointed out.

--Kwon Ekstrom