[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #289 - 8 msgs

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Jan 24 11:50:40 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Dr. Cat <cat at realtime.net>
>> From: Jeff Freeman <skeptack at antisocial.com>

> The next hot technology for more social interaction through the net
> that's going to be (again in my opinion) wireless stuff.  It seems
> to be one of the current things Venture Capitalists are currently
> into, and I think they've chosen correctly to bet on it.  There's a
> lot of problems - tiny displays, poor input, high expense to end
> users, rapidly changing platforms and standards, and it's not clear
> what user interfaces, role of voice vs. text, and the most desirable
> features are.  But the right time for VCs to get in is when all that
> stuff is being hashed out and the big huge successes are a few years
> in the future.

"Wearable" voice input, HUD output computers are on the verge right
now, too, say 3-5 years from seeing them on retail shelves.  They're
already being sold commercially, but the cost is so high they're very
limited in application.  If both technologies do prove out,
convergence is pretty much inevitable.  What that means for gaming, I
don't even want to think about (picture Locutus of Borg walking down
the street, waving an imaginary sword and screaming "TAUNT TAUNT KICK
DRINK TAUNT TAUNT!!!").  And people think gamers are wierd *now*? ;-)

--Dave Rickey