[MUD-Dev] Room Generation

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jan 19 15:19:25 CET 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:22:14 -0600
Nathanael Dermyer <NDermyer at HNTB.com> wrote:

> What I'm wondering is if anyone has some sort of mechanism (perl
> script, C program, VB, whatever) that will accept some sort of map
> file and a list that defines what each map symbol means, and spews
> out individual room files.

I'm not aware of such a tool (we're too enarly in the technology
curve for much standardisation).  That said, its not an inherently
difficult problem.  The basic algorithm would be something like:

  Load file into a memory array

  Traverse file and build a list of nodes (rooms)

    Have each node point to ints location in the array.

    Hav each node record its own type.

  Traverse node list and build reverse index of array locations to nodes

  Traverse node list and scan surrounding block of 8 characters for
    link characters

    For each link character, deduce the node location for the
      indicated room, and build a link (note, you can support
      one-direction links at this point).

  You now have a graph, a mesh of nodes related by directional links
  representing your room pattern.  Now you just need to walk that
  graph and dump the results in your desired format.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu