[MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

Bruce bruce at puremagic.com
Thu Jan 18 22:57:24 CET 2001

John Buehler wrote:
> Justin Rogers writes:
>
> > Last I checked Visual Studio didn't integrate too well with a home
> > brewed scripting language either.
>
> Just as there are execution interfaces that permit anyone to write
> their own scripting language, there are authoring interfaces related
> to scripting that are used by Visual Studio.  Dunno how public they
> are, but I do know that they're kinda hairy to implement.  Debugging
> interfaces too.  I don't believe there's anything private about the
> interfaces that are used to get the Javascript and VBScript languages
> to work - at any level.

Failing that, the ActiveState people are working on an IDE for
working in Python/Perl/JavaScript:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/index.html

It is also cross-platform (Mozilla based).  Some of the features
sound like they would be VERY cool in a mud-scripting
environment, like their planned regular expression debugger.

Maybe they could be convinced to release APIs so that people
could hook this up to a mud server in some form.

(and now that the Mozilla people have discovered the cause of
memory bloat, maybe Mozilla will even be usable soon)

 - Bruce