[MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Thu Jan 18 06:50:54 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Rogers" <justin at mlstoday.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 9:21 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

> [Ben Chambers]

>> Okay, so you want to script in many different languages.  But I
>> have one question.  How many commands are people actually gonna
>> use.  If your system is designed right, simple ifs and equal,
>> comparison operators and some form of variable control is all that
>> is needed.  I think that the best solution is to write a new
>> SCRIPTING language.  Script is something you just do, you don't
>> have to have compilers and whatnot to run it.  My idea is that if
>> you model your system right, you can design a scripting engine that
>> would be much more useful and quicker than the standard language.
>> Afterall, beyond writing the server, when have you ever used telnet
>> calls?

> Ah.  Your missing the point of my email I believe.  First of all
> .NET is fully compiled.  So I can compile script into optimized
> native code that runs across any platform that .NET runs on.  I also
> wish to extend the scripting out to a MOB.  When was the last time
> you scripted AI into a mob using ifs and equal?  I can't remember
> ever doing such a thing.

> Now basically what I'm creating is a MUD codebase that handles the
> basics that most MUDs need.  It'll handle player connections,
> provide some modules for database access (whether file or actual
> database), and control the main game loop.  Once that is up you can
> extend objects, configure to your hearts content, script mobs,
> events, actions, just about anything you can think of.  On the
> backend we have a high powered company known as MS ensuring that the
> framework we are running in is completely optimized and that a HUGE
> developer base has the tools available.  Last I checked Visual
> Studio didn't integrate too well with a home brewed scripting
> language either.  If you'd like me to further discuss my plans I'm
> compiling a white paper.  I'd be happy to throw some of the items
> past you for discussion before I complete the document.

Why script the mobs?  All AI are basically going to perform the same
way, so if you develop a scripting language to use in your codebase,
then you can create commands for AI that do parts of the work for you.
For example an aggressive mob and a gaurd in a shop both do the same
things: attack when someone enters.  The gaurd only does this though
if they are stealing or a wanted criminal.  These are similar, why use
a complex scripting language for these?

You can write your own methods of processing scripts.  It isn't that
hard...