[MUD-Dev] Exploration Exp (was: Experience System Differences)

Lord Ashon ashon at wsunix.wsu.edu
Wed Jan 17 09:34:55 CET 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Corey Crawford

> The only problem with this is storing all the rooms the player has
> been to; and also a simple counter where you increment the room's
> "number of players who found this room" variable to be compared to
> the total number of registered players on the MUD.

> The only cheat I can see for this is that people will script
> "routes" for new characters to just wonder around aimlessly for
> hours on end to build up exp. Of course, if the exp designated for a
> room was mere 10-20 points and it took 4-5k to level (or whatever),
> it may not be a huge issue.

> There is also the issue of players having multipule characters and
> just "reexploring" areas, but I don't think there would be a way to
> prevent that.

> Anyone have some better ideas?

I played a MUD once I don't remember the name of it.  But to encourage
explorers the implementers created a thing called travel points.  What
happened was you would go around the world exploring, and you would
every now and again be awarded TP's!  A happy little message would
appear that read, You just earned a TP!.  you could use the TP's to
buy specialty items, increase stats ect...

Me and a couple of friends were interested in how the system worked so
we created an extensive bot to travel the world and map it.  When it
got the You just earned a TP! message it would flag the room.  Using
the map that the first bot created we went from TP to TP and
discovered that some of them were static and some were random.  It
should be noted that once you picked up a TP from location A, you
couldn't get another one from the same location.

Using this system we reverse engineered how it worked.  We figured
that TP's were invisible weightless objects that were auto-picked up
when you entered into a room with one.  The could either be set at
certain locations or randomly popped.  The object had a value rating.
So that you could determine how many TP's the character had earned.
And when you purchased a TP item, the value was set to 0.  We also
figured that items had unique identifiers so you couldn't pick up more
than one from the same location.

To turn this into an XP system what we proposed to do would be have a
polling system that would poll all the players (online and off) to see
who had a TP object with the same identifier and to set the value
rating for spawned ones on a sliding scale much like you are
suggesting.

-Lord Ashon