[MUD-Dev] An Idea... Mud Development Framework

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Jan 16 19:37:10 CET 2001

 Jeremy Lowery wrote:
 > One technology that I"ve been looking into can do something very
 > similar.  It's called Active Scripting. The idea would be to define a
 > a set of COM Servers that expose pragmatic interfaces to script. A
 > client would initialize base services, the loading sequence, and
 > instantaniate the runtime. Core system scripts (such as object
 > <.... snipped .....>
 >
 > Scripts could be written in any language that has an ActiveX Script
 > Server Component Registered on the system.  Such as VBScript, Python,
 > JScript, Perl, and LISP, completely depending on the programmers
 > preference and the Interfaces that Language Components provide .

Okay, so you want to script in many different languages.  But I have
one question.  How many commands are people actually gonna use.  If
your system is designed right, simple ifs and equal, comparison
operators and some form of variable control is all that is needed.  I
think that the best solution is to write a new SCRIPTING language.
Script is something you just do, you don't have to have compilers and
whatnot to run it.  My idea is that if you model your system right,
you can design a scripting engine that would be much more useful and
quicker than the standard language.  Afterall, beyond writing the
server, when have you ever used telnet calls?