[MUD-Dev] ANNC: .NET Frameworks based Mud Codebase

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Sun Jan 14 22:10:56 CET 2001

Hello,

Since this is the biggest hoard of developers that I know of for MUDs,
I am writing to you in hopes of gaining either some support or at
least some suggestions on the project of creating a MUD codebased
based on .NET technologies.  Following are my plans and a some of the
benefits of programming with .NET.

Phase 1 design (Alpha):

Currently there is a Java codebase called WolfMUD, I thought that I'd
start by porting this codebase to JScript.NET.  This would mean
extremely quick turnaround and an immediate .NET codebase in under a
month.

Phase 2 design (Beta):

Speed optimizations and addition of most of the Release 1 features.
These would include a modular approach for plugins, the addition of
in-game compilation of code into callable modules, the use of any .NET
based language as an internal scripting language, and the use of
complex objects to exhibit mobs, objects, etc...

Phase 3 design (Release 1):

This will be the release with world building tools, several example
mobs, and code that works on the .NET RTM.  Of course this could be
six months or 2 years before this is available and Release will hover
solely on Microsoft's Marketing decision for .NET.  This will also be
the release with code that will be known to work on other OS's and
Platforms so that cross-platform support with be OOB (Out Of the Box)
if and when .NET is produced for OS's.

Justin Rogers