[MUD-Dev] Player statistics

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Jan 11 20:06:02 CET 2001

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Marc Bowden wrote:

> --On Wednesday, January 10, 2001 1:34 PM -0800 Wes Connell
> <wconnell at skotos.net> wrote:

>> All this discussion from the About.com and Lum articles made me
>> wonder (granted I work at Skotos) if there have been any good
>> studies on detailed number that the online games in question
>> receive.

>> Personally, I've always thought the size of the free MUD community
>> has actually grown steadily since the beginning.

> I don't know about anyone else, but we've really taken it in the
> shorts since Everquest opened up.

Ponder. I wonder if the impact of Everquest on a mud is partially
dependent on what type of mud it is. For instance, Everquest is a lot
like a Diku, but with the addition of graphics. Same style of play,
but done a lot more professionally and with more depth to things like
the monster bashing. It has better monster bashing than any text mud
I've seen, if you can deal with the overcrowding.

I only postulate this because we haven't really noticed any impact
from Everquest, etc. I suspect it's because they don't offer the kind
of experince we do (ie they are monster-bashing muds, we are not.)

--matt
 "I whacked Huggy Bear."