[MUD-Dev] "Men are from Quake, Women are from Ultima"

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Thu Jan 11 13:46:44 CET 2001

--On Thursday, January 11, 2001 7:34 AM -0800 "Koster, Raph"
<rkoster at verant.com> wrote:

> NY Times article at:
>
>   http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/11/technology/11ROLE.html
>
> "Officials at the companies that make the three most popular games -
> Ultima Online, from Origin Systems; Asheron's Call; and EverQuest,
> from Sony - said they did not design the games with women in mind and
> have been surprised at the response."
>
> Untrue! :P UO was most definitely designed with women in mind, by my
> wife, who was a designer on the team (one of the original three). In
> fact, we were disappointed to get as FEW as we did.

Interesting, Raph. Since the design element bias was eliminated, do
you think the small number of women that turned out was due to the
smallish population of women gamers versus men, or did it stem from
how the society at UO evolved?

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                 206.246.120.2 3333