[MUD-Dev] Player statistics

Koster Koster
Thu Jan 11 07:42:17 CET 2001

Well, as a separate datum, you can figure that the currect active
subscriber base of the big three commercial muds is around 600,000,
with 300,000 in EverQuest, 200,000 in Ultima Online, and 100,000 in
Asheron's Call. Those figures are ballpark--I know that both EQ and UO
are higher, and AC may be slightly lower. However, total sales numbers
for all three games combined are probably... (*does some quick math*)
oh, somewhat over a million all told, with UO over the half million
mark and EQ rapidly closing in on it.  Many of those unit sales are
misleading because they count sales of expansion packs to existing
users, though. I would guess that the number of graphic-mud-only
players is larger than the current number of text-mud-only players
because the graphic mud rode the Internet boom wave better than the
text mud did (in terms of acquisition).

-Raph