[MUD-Dev] About.com article on Skotos

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Tue Jan 9 23:24:27 CET 2001

Christopher Allen wrote:
> The Interactive Fiction section of About.com just published a long article
> "Skotos Bets on Next-Generation MUDs" at

http://interactfiction.about.com/games/interactfiction/library/weekly/aa0108
01a.htm .

This article has apparently raised up some heated discussions on the
LumTheMad site. Savant wrote a very scathing rant against the article at
http://www.lumthemad.net/news/1640.php , in which he says (among other
things):

> The term 'next generation' or 'second generation' MUDs
> is in itself insulting. A mud is a mud is a mud. There's
> nothing 'innovative' that can be done with a MUD that
> can't be done better through a graphical MMORPG."

Many people have rebutted this statement, including our our Raph Koster,
Dave Whatley and Solomon of Simutronics, as well as quite a few other folks.
There is a lot of other interesting commentary starting at
http://boards.xrgaming.net/forums/read.php?f=95&i=25957&t=25957

-- Christopher Allen