[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Tue Jan 2 10:54:25 CET 2001

<EdNote: Margins fixed>

> From: Jeff Freeman <skeptack at antisocial.com>
> At 10:47 PM 12/27/00 -0500, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:
>
>> I believe that some form of character persistence (and I consider
>> the time based system you describe as a mild form just that) is the
>> most straightforward way to handle macroing.  In a sense, you
>> simply give everyone the ability to macro.  World Fusion is taking
>> this approach, but they are using full-blown character persistence,
>> where you character actually remains in the world in a scripted
>> state while you are offline.
>

> On Ackadia I've just implemented "apprentices", which remain online
> (and working) 24/7, earning money for their mentors (the players).
> With a pay-for-training skillgain system, it equates to "macroing
> for everyone" (although we don't have a level-based system and most
> people tend to "max out" their characters within a couple of weeks).

[snip of system details]

If you wanted to greatly extend the amount of time it took someone to
"max out" their character, I think that you'll find your players much
more open to this with the "apprentices" in place.  I believe this is
so because the additional time and effort required can be seen as
"apprentice" time and effort instead of player time and effort.
Personally, I want to use my precious player time to have fun.  But I
don't mind using "apprentice" time or "character" time to "skill" or
earn money for pay-for-training.

> It's pretty neat.

It's sounds very cool.

--Phinehas